Skip to content
September 23, 2009 / Mark Kerrigan

Frontal Lobes and Impulse Control

Main_brain_lobes_largeA psychiatrist once told me that the frontal lobes in a person’s brain were like the front brakes on a bicycle when it comes to controlling one’s impulses. Yes, it is possible to stop yourself, he told me, but it’s gonna take much more time and determination than if your frontal lobes were fully intact.

The issue of impulse control affects all aspects of our lives–or at least I look back and see where I could have used more impulse control and better judgment at times over the past 20 years. For instance, when hungry, most people eat until they aren’t hungry anymore. Not so with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) survivor. For me, I know that if I liked the taste of something I was eating, I kept eating. And eating. And eating, until I was on the verge of making myself sick.

When it came to control urges, like thirst or sexual, I tended to cross the line where most people would realize the actions were becoming inappropriate. I remember one of my female physical therapists tying my shoe while I was sitting in the wheelchair–unable to walk or talk yet. As she patiently tightened my high-tops, I glimpsed a bit of cleavage. Without a second though, I reached down with my right hand–since I didn’t have good control of my left–and grabbed her breast.

When she objected I removed my hand from her blouse, and she said, “You can only do that with your girlfriend, but don’t tell your mom I said that.” So when “Alicia” and her family talk about how she was not able to control many of her urges, I can relate.

This lack of inhibition caused by acquired brain injury causes many of the people who used to be friends to stay away from the survivor. The sense of isolation caused by the loss of friends causes many survivors to engage in self-destructive behavior like drinking, drug-use, tobacco use, and a variety of other addictions.

7 Comments

1. best acne products / Sep 22 2014 12:09 pm

obviously like your website however you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome
    to inform the truth however I will certainly come back again.

2. Chu / Sep 25 2014 1:58 am

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thanks!

3. www.smore.com / Sep 30 2014 9:19 am

Hola! I’ve been reading your web site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead
    and give you a shout out from Humble Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic
    work!

4. metal slug X / Oct 3 2014 5:24 pm

Great site you have here but I was wanting to know if you
    knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about here?

I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other
    experienced individuals that share the same
    interest. If you have any suggestions, please let
    me know. Thanks a lot!

5. b35d3E / Oct 9 2014 5:18 am

Former FBI supervisor John Morris thought he had left his sordid relationship
    with James “Whitey” Bulger back in Boston along with the envelopes of money,
    the cases of expensive wine, the home-cooked meals he had prepared
    for the accused mob boss. Morris’ testimony put a spotlight on a staggering amount of corruption in the Boston FBI field office that included cash
    bribes and tip-offs to wiretaps. Whatever benefit that opportunity brings depends solely on the
    person experiencing it and whether they are open to it.

6. modern Combat 5 / Oct 18 2014 1:44 am

This article will assist the internet users for setting up new website or even a
    weblog from start to end.

Trackbacks

1. True-Life Stories of Life After Brain Injuries « Life After Traumatic Brain Injury